September 2015 Newsletter: Roasted Carrot Soup with Coconut Milk
Roasting the carrots and onions adds caramelized sweetness to this rich-tasting, warmly spiced soup. Bonus: It’s souper easy to make!
- 2 lbs (908 g) carrots, peeled (or scrubbed) and coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1½ to 2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, left whole
- 1 tbsp olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 6 cups no-salt-added vegetable broth
- 2 tsp grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp each freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (light or regular; see Variation)
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish, optional
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place carrots, sweet potatoes, onions and garlic on a rimmed, non-stick baking sheet that’s just large enough to hold the veggies in a single layer. Drizzle with oil. Using your hands, mix the vegetables until they’re coated with oil. A bit messy, sorry! Roast, uncovered, for about 35 to 40 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Stir once, halfway through cooking time. Be careful not to burn them. Exact roasting time will depend on thickness of vegetables.
Transfer roasted vegetables to a soup pot. Add broth and all spices. Bring to a boil. Reduced heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove soup from heat. Add coconut milk. Using a stick (immersion) blender, purée soup until perfectly smooth. Alternatively, transfer soup (be careful, it’s HOT!) in 3 or 4 small batches to a blender and whirl until smooth. A blender produces a silky, smooth texture, which we prefer…but please watch that you don’t burn yourself! Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
Makes about 8 cups soup
Per cup: 153 calories, 7.5 g total fat (3.8 g saturated fat), 2 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 306 mg sodium
This soup is coconutty! If you’re not a fan of coconut…no worries. Just use 10% cream or even Greek yogurt instead of coconut milk. Please note that Greek yogurt will make the soup EXTRA thick.