Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie
This Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie is a delicious, on-the-go breakfast or snack with warm spices, good fats and protein!
- 1½ cups ice cold water (you could also use almond milk or regular milk)
- ½ cup canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (see variations below)
- 1 small frozen RIPE banana, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp almond butter or peanut butter
- 1 tbsp ground chia seeds (you can use whole seeds if you have a really good blender)
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (see tip below)
- A few ice cubes
Whirl all ingredients in a blender and enjoy! Creamy and delicious, without overpowering flavour. Filling and satisfying!
Makes 1 large smoothie
If you’re using a non-sweetened protein powder, you’ll need to add a bit of natural sweetener to the recipe, such as pure maple syrup (a great compliment to pumpkin). Start with 1 tbsp and adjust from there.
If dairy isn’t a problem for you, try using ¾ cup vanilla Greek yogurt instead of the protein powder. If using PLAIN Greek yogurt, you should add 1/2 to 1 tsp vanilla plus some sweetener like maple syrup.
If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own.
To make 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, use 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp allspice and 1/8 tsp nutmeg.
And don’t forget, you can FREEZE leftover canned pumpkin!