The Looneyspoons Collection: Pie Caramba!
Mexican pizza with seasoned ground beef, black beans, tomatoes, and corn
Ai, ai, ai! It’s a zesty pizza pie! If you want to experience the joy of Mex, say “si” to this uniquely topped pizza that’s bursting with fabulous southwestern flavor. It’s hot, hot, hot!
- 8 oz (227 g) extra-lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup minced red onions
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup diced grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup each grated carrots and diced green bell pepper
- ¼ cup frozen or canned corn
- ¼ cup no-salt-added canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 1 12-inch prebaked whole-grain thin-crust pizza shell
- 1 cup packed shredded light old (sharp) cheddar cheese (4 oz/113 g)
- 2 tbsp minced green onions
- Garnishes: Light sour cream, salsa and guacamole (optional)
Preheat oven to 425ºF.
Cook beef, onions and garlic in a large, non-stick skillet until beef is no longer pink. Add tomatoes, carrots, green pepper, corn and beans. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Add cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook 1 more minute. Remove from heat.
Spread pizza sauce evenly over crust. Top with half the cheese. Spoon beef mixture evenly over pizza. Top with remaining cheese, followed by green onions.
Place pizza directly on middle oven rack and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted and crust is lightly browned.
Makes 1 pizza, 8 slices
Per slice: 186 calories, 6.8 g total fat (3.4 g saturated fat), 12 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 1.9 g fiber, 28 mg cholesterol, 455 mg sodium