June 2015 Newsletter: Melon Mojito Salsa
It’s summertime in a bowl when you combine 3 types of juicy melons with tangy lime and fresh mint! This refreshing, delicious salsa requires a bit of chopping, but it’s worth it. The perfect accompaniment to anything grilled!
- 1½ cups each diced watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew melon (see Cooking Tips)
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
- ¼ cup finely minced red onions (or use green onions with white parts)
- 2 to 3 tbsp minced fresh mint leaves (or cilantro, or a bit of both!)
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ tsp grated lime zest
- ¼ tsp sea salt
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes about 5½ cups salsa
Per ½ cup: 26 calories, 0.1 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 0.6 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate, 0.7 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 57 mg sodium
Since watermelon is so, well, watery…spread out the diced pieces on a couple sheets of paper towels to dry them slightly before mixing with the other ingredients. Dislike cantaloupe? No problem! Use diced mango. To save time, look for a tray of pre-cut melon chunks in the produce section of your grocery store. The three melons in this recipe are often packaged together. Then you’ll simply need to dice them into smaller pieces. Want it spicy? Add one very small, finely minced jalapeño pepper OR a squirt of Sriracha hot sauce.