Roasted Sweet Potato Soup!
As the weather turns cold, I like to warm up with a big bowlful of soup
Roasted Sweet-Potato Soup with Orange and Ginger
- 6 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes (about 3 large)
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 5 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tbsp each grated orange zest and gingerroot
- 1 whole clove
- ½ tsp each ground cumin and salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp light (5%) sour cream
- Minced fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
Spray a shallow roasting pan with cooking spray. Add yams or sweet potatoes, onions, olive oil and garlic. Stir well. Roast, uncovered, at 425ºF for 25 minutes. Stir once, halfway through cooking time.
Transfer mixture to a soup pot. Add broth, orange zest, gingerroot, clove, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
Working in batches, carefully transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Serve hot with a swirl of sour cream in the center. Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.
Makes 6 servings
Recipe Tip: Add 1 tsp medium curry powder to step two for even more zip!
Per serving: 209 calories, 3.7 g total fat, (0.2 g saturated fat), 6 g protein, 39 g carbohydrate, 4.9 g fiber, 1 mg cholesterol, 292 mg sodium